Advice from Our Delivery Team
by Nick, Digital Specialist | February 22, 2021
We've been making deliveries to local homes for over 70 years, and our delivery team has picked up some helpful tips. These simple tips can help you have a simple and smooth experience with your furniture delivery!
Your furniture delivery is the last step of a long process, and it can be incredibly frustrating when something goes wrong and interferes with that. Imagine waiting for so long, only to have something small get in the way of you finally getting your beautiful new furniture! With the help of our delivery and warehouse team, we’ve come up with a few tips that will help avoid any mishaps.
- Measure your space first: There are few things more frustrating than taking delivery of a piece of furniture that you’ve waited so long for, only to find out it doesn’t fit in your room. It’s frustrating for your store and for your delivery team, too! Make sure you do your homework and verify that the pieces will fit in your room as you imagine they will. The same goes for entryways and hallways- how will the delivery team bring it to the room it’s going in? Are there any narrow doorways, hallways, or stairways to contend with?
- Make sure you’re home! This sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised how frequently a delivery team goes to a house and nobody is there. It infringes on everybody’s time, so make sure somebody is there! If you are not able to be home yourself, a friend or neighbor might be available to accept the delivery on your behalf. Things do happen sometimes, but do your best to ensure that you are there.
- Shovel the snow: A lot of people don’t think of this, but this is an important one- especially now that it’s winter. Make sure your driveway and any pathways are cleared of snow and ice. Not only will this remove the possibility of a slip and fall, but this will also ensure that the drivers don’t track ice and snow into your home! If you’re not able to clear any obstacles before delivery, you may want to consider rescheduling.
- Clear a path: If your furniture is not going to a room that is right at the front of the home, make sure you clear a path for them to get to the room it’s going to. Make sure any area rugs are secured so nobody trips over them, and clean up any toys or other things that might be in the way.
- Secure your pets: We know that your cat, dog, teacup pig, or other pet is very friendly, but make sure they are someplace safe during the delivery. The delivery team will usually leave your door(s) open, so make sure they are secured somewhere that they won’t get out. Plus, Fluffy or Fido might cause a delivery person to trip and fall.
- For Condos, Apartments, and Retirement Homes: If you are getting delivery to one of these places, we’d strongly suggest that you check in with your building managers or concierge to see if there are any additional steps you need to take before you schedule. Many places like these restrict the hours or days of delivery, or will require you to reserve a time to use their freight elevator. Building management may also require additional paperwork from the delivery/moving company, such as certificate of insurance (COI).
- Don’t Hold Up the Delivery Team: sometimes things happen at the time of delivery- maybe a piece has arrived with damage, or maybe you think you may have received the wrong piece. You could choose to accept the delivery and work it out with the store, or refuse the delivery and then figure out your next steps. Either way, please do not keep the delivery team at your home for longer than necessary. Most likely, there are more stops that they have to make after you, so please let them carry on with their day as soon as you are able.
All in all, the delivery experience can be very rewarding for you- you finally get to see your new furniture in your home! We hope these simple tips can help you have the best experience with no stress.
BROWSE BY TAG: